Friday, January 28, 2011

The Love Boat


Love, exciting and new, come aboard, we're expecting you...(I can hear you now... singing along.) I will admit I sang the whole time I put this cutie together. :)

I ran across a larger version of this "Love Boat" while sitting at the Dr. office flipping through the Valentine edition of Family Fun magazine. Their version used an Orange Juice carton, so I said to myself, why not try it out on our own Big Shot Milk Carton die. Yes, .... underneath  those layers of paper is the SU little ol' Milk Carton diecut box. Isn't it the Bees Knees?!! Here is a picture of the underside -

Here are the deets. Cut your milk carton out of cardstock, I used Whisper White. I assembled it,  and just left the bottom open so I could fill it.  I traced around the assembled milk carton, on whisper white, cut out leaving about 1/4 inch around the outside. This is the top of my boat.  I cut little slits up to the traced lines and folded these down, then added adhesive to the tabs and fit around the assembled milk carton. (You can repeat this step for the bottom of the carton if you choose). I cut a strip of whisper white 1 5/8 x 7 3/8, applied sticky strip to the top and bottom edge of the long sides, and wrapped around the milk carton.  I cut  pieces of Real Red, Pretty in pink, and Marina Mist the same length as my whisper white piece, 7 3/8" long. (I used my 1/2 circle punch to make the waves on my Marina mist layer).  To make the port holes, I punched circles in black using the circle from the ity bity shapes punch pack. I used a standard hole punch and basic gray stock for the outer layer, and then punched around those holes with the ity bity circle punch. To make the smoke stacks, I rolled black stock around a pencil, and secured with sticky strip. I hand cut the cloud and punched the hearts out of a scrap that I had previously ran through the bigshot using the square lattice embossing folder. I attached them to OLD SU wire that I still have in my stash, to make them appear as if they were coming from the stacks. I made the flag from a scrap of whisper white and a real red punched heart, and wrapped it around a toothpick. 

...Viola! A love boat!

Heather :)


15 comments:

-Susan- said...

Heather I giggled when I read your post on your blog. When I saw your "LOVE BOAT" on the SU web site I started singing the "Love Boat" theme song. Then bopped on over to your blog to see the words as I was singing it in my head. Too funny. I think your project IS the been knees. Thanks for sharing. May have to give this baby a try!

Pam said...

I just can't keep up with you. You surprise me everytime. This made me smile when I saw it.

Renee Ondrajka said...

This is too dang cute! Thanks for sharing how you made it. I absolutely love it!

mamia (me and mine in Alabama) said...

This is the cutest thing!!! I love it and will be making one for sure! Thanks for the directions.

Kim said...

AWESOME idea! This will be on my inspiration blog post tomorrow. TFS!

crazylife said...

Ha Ha! . The minute I saw it I sang along too. Being a teenager stuck at home on a Saturday night, memories. The boat is great. Family fun is a good source of inspiring ideas. Awesome Heather!

Gracey'girl

Crystal said...

OMGoodness, I'm sooo gonna make one of these for my hubs. Super cute!!!!!

valita said...

a beautiful idea! love your imagination :)

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS! the cutest thing ever! : )
Pam Going Postal

Cate said...

Wow! I love your blog!! Your projects are sooo cute. I've gone right back through to the start if your blog and my mind is brimming with ideas. I'll keep coming back to visit! Cate x

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my goodness, Heather! This totally rocks girl! Brilliant!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

So, so adorable!!!

PocketsOfInspiration said...

Super duper, cute!

Unknown said...

Too stinkin' cute!!! I wanted to let you know that I will be showcasing this project on My Crafty Picks #2 this Sunday, 2-6-11. If you wish to decline please email me at trbauer@insightbb.com

Tracy said...

Holy Schamokes!! Is that the cutest thing ever?? You are just too wonderful for sharing!
Thanks so very much Ü

Play Day Brewing

Hey Everyone! I have a card to share today! I Know!... I am in as much disbelief as you! We are steadily approaching the Holiday season.. ...